Wednesday, December 30, 2009

rhythm.connection presents A MOMENT WITH TAKU TAKAHASHI (m-flo/Ravex)

Hey guys! Thanks for reading, and now, please enjoy, if not my biggest, one of my biggest interviews to date - with the legendary Japanese DJ/producer...Taku Takahashi of m-flo and Ravex!

Taku Takahashi (born March 27, 1974 in Tokyo, Japan) is a Japanese DJ and producer, most famously, one half of the powerhouse hip-pop duo m-flo, as well as a member of a 3-man project called 'ravex'. Since the mid 90s, Taku has been heavily involved in the Japanese club/house scene as a rising DJ and now producer and owner of a record label. Apart from his domestic and overseas gigs playing big clubs, Taku also produces remixes and original work for many artists included Sowelu, Crystal Kay, Lady Sovereign, The Ting Tings, and more. And to add on that, he's the DJ behind one of Japan's most successful producing/collaborating hip-pop duos, m-flo. He also is a host of TCY RADIO TOKYO. Without further ado, here is my interview with Taku! (Please note that this interview took place during August but was not completed till November!)

How long have you been doing music professionally for?
Luckily, it is my 11th year. It's also 10yr anniversary for m-flo.

What style of music is your forte, and which musicians provide inspiration for your tracks?
I'd say dance. especially house and electronical stuff. Maybe Drum&Bass Also.

So as a solo artist, you’ve been involved in a number of projects, two that I would like to talk about today. In 2008, you joined a 3-man DJ/producer trio called ravex, which was established to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the avex label. What or who was the mastermind behind this idea to create this group, and what gave inspiration to make the group as it is now?
It's Shinichi Osawa's idea. He invited me to the group and it was my big honor. I always listened to his stuff when I was a college student. Can you imagine being in the same group with someone who you worshiped in college? lol Although nobody mentioned YMO may be our influence, as an icon not the sound...

Will ravex keep making music together in the future?
God only knows. lol We see each other a lot though. Shin's studio is close to my studio and I sometimes bump in to him at Cafes.

Your taste in music is pretty diverse I can imagine; what do you normally play when you’re working (DJing events) and when you’re at home?
I play house/electro mainly. To be more precise I play fidget bassline house.
I also play drum&bass and dubstep. Im really in to Filter House recently.

Is there ANY musician that you would like to do a collaboration with in the future?
Yes, chaki from THE LOW BROWS. I think its gonna happen.

Where’s the one place where you can go and get your creative flow going in order to write/create music?
Anywhere. Thats why I like to bring around my laptop.

You’ve played gigs in a lot of other countries, the most recent being South Korea. Is there any particular country you haven’t been to yet that you’d like to do a gig in, and if you and VERBAL were able to come DJ/perform in North America, would you?
Would like to DJ anywhere if people need me. :)

You do a lot of remixes for musicians, both Japanese and foreign. One in particular, your remix of The Ting Ting’s ‘That’s Not My Name’ caught my ear. How did this remix happen in terms of getting hooked up with them and doing the remix, and was there any particular beats or sounds that inspired the remix to be the way that it is?
People send me the offer thru myspace, my agent, etc.....I try to make the remixes playable at my gigs. I think that is the main point for the remix.

Back to m-flo, you’ve rapped for a few different songs, specifically The Rhyme Brokers, VANESSA with Bloodest Saxaphone, and Get On! with Crystal Kay. What made you decide to contribute vocals to those songs, and is there any chance of that happening again anytime soon?
Well, I rap because its fun. I don't have any future plan for that though. lol

Has there been any recent activity with your record label Tachytelic Records, and if not, can we expect any soon?
No, but I think Im starting a new label!

To the critical question now. You’ve been a key player in music for some time now, and music tastes and styles are changing quickly in this day and age. Where do you see music in Japan going in the future, in the sense of changing tastes, and will this allow you continued creativity down the road?
I like your journalist spirit. It is getting more domestic and I don't like it. I think a lot of artists (and even the listeners) craved for something different. But a lot of stuff in the charts are cheezy. Don't get me wrong. Im not saying I dont like pop music. Its just that its getting very typical and a lot of R&B stuff sounds like 10yrs ago and Im pretty much sick and tired of it. Some artists (including us) are trying to change it and trying to bring out something FRESH. God only knows whats gonna happen in the future, but Im not pesimistic about that.

Do you feel you’ve contributed to the advancement of music in Japan as a house/club DJ and a member of two big groups? And is there anything you’d like to see done in this whole genre of music in Japan?
That is my goal, but I strongly believe that it has to get even better. Club scenes are not as big as Europe. I think theres lot more that we can do, but dont know which to start. lol

In addition, Taku gave me some awesome info which I think you guys will like!...

Recently I made more than 10 new remix versions of m-flo tracks for the live and I have been busy making remixes for Lady Sovereign and Calvin Harris. Im more interested in strictly dance oriented materials lately, therefore my challenge is going abroad Japan and releasing my solo. By the way BBC RADIO1 is now playing my remix of Lady Sovereign. I think it is a good start ;)


Suge! (Amazing in Japanese) This was a huge deal to me to do this, and I want to thank Taku and his management for allowing me to do this. And thank you guys, the readers/supporters. Stay tuned for more interviews! :)

J~


Taku Takahashi

No comments:

Post a Comment